Sudan’s army General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan has ordered the release of four civilian ministers detained since he led a military coup last week, state-run television said.
Sudan TV on Thursday identified the four ministers as Hashem Hassab Alrasoul, telecommunications minister; Ali Geddo, trade minister; Hamza Baloul, information minister; and Youssef Adam, youth and sports minister. Several others remain detained.
The announcement came as the United Nations has been coordinating efforts to find a way out of Sudan’s political crisis following the October 25 coup in which top civilian politicians were detained and Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok was placed under house arrest. Pro-democracy protesters have staged large demostrations denouncing the coup, which derailed the country’s fragile transition towards civilian rule.
The UN special envoy for Sudan said talks had yielded the outline of a potential deal on a return to power-sharing, including Hamdok’s reinstatement, but added it had to be agreed in “days not weeks” before both sides’ positions harden.
Last week, al-Burhan said he wanted to form a new government of technocrats, and that Hamdok could return to lead it. On Wednesday, Hamdok’s office denied a report he had agreed to lead a new government and insisted that he wanted detainees released and governing bodies restored before entering into any dialogue.
Neighbourhood resistance committees, which have led protests since the coup and held demonstrations on Thursday, have rejected negotiations and have demanded that the military exit politics.
One proposal under discussion would see Hamdok given greater powers but with a new cabinet more palatable to the army, diplomats said, requesting anonymity because they are not authorised to speak to the media.
The army, in control for much of Sudan’s history since independence in 1956, would be in charge of the government’s powerful security and defence councils under the deal, they added.
The formation of a new Sovereign Council, the top executive body headed by al-Burhan until he said he was dissolving it, is still being discussed, according to the diplomats.
The army and politicians are at odds over the cabinet appointments component, they said, describing a deal as still elusive. The UN special representative said on Monday that “the contours of a package would become visible” in the coming days.
Thursday’s announcement about the four ministers came a day after Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, which enjoy close ties with Sudan’s ruling military, revisited their stance against the military coup by joining a call by the United States and the United Kingdom for the restoration of the civilian cabinet. The two Arab states had previously only emphasised stability in the country.
Kholood Khair, member of the Insight Strategy Partner think-tank, told Al Jazeera the move by Saudi Arabia and the UAE, coupled with the necessity to show some engagement during the ongoing negotiations, had triggered al-Burhan’s decision about the release of the four ministers.
“These two things have pushed them to reconsider their stance and meaningfully engage by releasing some of these detainees,” she added, noting that the coup leaders had to deal now with “a new political reality”.
The coup was a setback for Sudan’s path towards democracy two years into a fragile power-sharing agreement between members of the military and civilians established after the removal of longtime ruler Omar al-Bashir two years ago.
Tens of thousands of anti-coup protesters flooded the streets of the capital, Khartoum, on October 25 as al-Burhan dissolved the cabinet and imposed a state of emergency across the country. Pro-democracy protests have since continued, triggering a crackdown by security forces that has left at least 11 people dead.
The coup triggered a wave of international condemnation and several punitive measures, with the World Bank and the United States freezing aid – a major blow to a country already mired in a dire economic crisis.
Sudan’s military has also faced pressure from the African Union, which suspended the country from its activities until “the effective restoration of the civilian-led transitional authority”.
This content was originally published here.